Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you like it, why not share it ?...Thanks!

Heat and dust

Painting by John Miller
Painting by John Miller

What I saw, when I drew back the curtains at eight o clock this morning(Sunday), caused me to utter the Greek expression “Och”.

It is more of a sound, rather than an actual word, used to express surprise or amazement.

What had I seen?

Out there was a thick, soup-like, yellow fog.


Dust from the Sahara Desert, obscuring the sea. View from my bedroom.Loutraki
Dust from the Sahara Desert, obscuring the sea.
View from my bedroom.bedroom. Loutraki


Only it wasn't fog at all, a Southern wind had filled the atmosphere with sand and dust, blown over from North Africa, bringing not only the dust, but a glorious warmth.
 Dare I say spring is here?



Sahara Desert
Sahara Desert



The sea was invisible, the Gerania Mountain had disappeared and cars had their headlights on.




The Gerania Mountain seems to have disappeared!
The Gerania Mountain seems to have disappeared!


This happens quite regularly here in Greece, usually just after I have worn myself out, washing balconies, shutters and windows!


Not the moon;the sun!
Not the moon;the sun!


This time I was let off lightly, yesterday, I was going to do just that but was interrupted by my daughter arriving when I had only got as far as doing the dinning room windows and shutters.

Thank goodness I hadn't done it all; it would have been a complete waste of time and energy.
Rain is forecast for tomorrow, all the sand and dust in the air will be come down as mud, coating everything.

The car wash people will be happy; they will be doing a roaring trade!



Ready for the car wash.
Ready for the car wash.


Look how nice and white my shutters look after cleaning them yesterday, tomorrow they will be a reddish brown with the dust, I will have to do them all over again!



Clean, white shutters
Clean, white shutters


A word about the cat, sorry to all you cat-lovers, but, I don’t like cats.

It is one of four strays that appeared in our garden last year, my son, who does not live here I might add, so didn’t have the trouble of them, started feeding them, you know the rest of the story; they were here to stay.

On the up side, they were all male, no fear of more little kittens, on the down side, they drove me mad!
They got into the house, I was finding them everywhere, and they messed up my nice garden cushions with muddy paw prints and hair.

To top it all, my son gave them all ridiculous names:

Loony, Bobbo, Peppis and Pippis.

One by one, they disappeared, Loony was the first to go, followed by Peppis and then Bobbo.

We are left with Pippis, I call him cat, I just can’t bring myself to call him Pippis!



Pippis aka cat
Pippis aka cat


He’s a vicious little chap, always fighting; I don’t know if you can make it out from the picture, but he only has one ear, he also has various bald patches, all his war wounds!

He was like this from day one, maybe that’s why the other three went walkabout!
Don’t they say that it’s the strongest that survive?

Anyway, I tolerate him, that’s about all I can say!

It seems that the weather was strange all over Greece, my son had gone to a windsurfing championship, the rain had washed out the road, they had to take their shoes off, roll up their trousers and walk the last bit of the way to their destination.


Tsimari
Tsimari

At least here we didn't have rain and it was so warm!

After a lovely family lunch, I had made giuvetsi, a family favourite and a doddle to make, see how to make it HERE, we sat in the garden, the temperature was twenty degrees; heaven!

 My granddaughter had a jolly time on her bicycle, despite everything being covered in dust; it seems ages since we have sat outside as a family, I do have my coffee outside every morning, whatever the weather!
 I must say, I do prefer it to sitting indoors.

Later on, the evening news, was full of stories about the bad weather throughout Greece.
Northern Greece had been especially bad, sadly, because of torrential rain, a beautiful historic bridge, said to be the most beautiful in the Balkans, had collapsed.


Plaka Bridge, Epirus
Plaka Bridge, Epirus



The walkway along the Plaka Bridge
The walkway along the Plaka Bridge


The Plaka bridge of Epirus, built in 1866, was sixty one metres long and twenty metres high, what a terrible loss.


Plaka Bridge washed away by the river
Plaka Bridge washed away by the river


Let’s see what tomorrow brings, heavy thunder storms expected.
At least it will wash away all this dust.


Lycavitos, Athens, under dust
Lycavitos, Athens, under dust

3 comments:

  1. Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. See the link below for more info.


    #rain
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah these are the major problem when we are driving. So at that time we are advised for choose with the perfect washing services from the best handler. So you can choose from our services Car Wash Services in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog, I am always absolutely delighted to hear your thoughts, ideas or suggestions.
They make all my efforts worthwhile,.

Please do check back, after leaving a comment, as I make every effort to answer all your remarks promptly.
Thanks,
Susan.x

If you like it, why not share it? Thanks!